RECENT LEGAL PROJECTS
- Consultant to family office of a London based ultra-high net worth individual with a significant international public profile.Work involved: (i) Managing complex restructuring of entire holding structure for family’s personal wealth (value in excess of US$2 Billion), involving multi-jurisdictional issues of trusts, companies, foundations, tax planning and asset protection. (ii) Managing and guiding leading law firms in a multi-jurisdictional environment. (iii) Managing professional team in order to develop substantial London ‘trophy’ residential property involving various planning applications, title matters and construction contracts. (iv) Managing death plan for family principal, involving issues of financial structuring as well as multi-jurisdictional probate issues and matters of private security. (v) Dealing with complex lease acquisition of substantial ‘top end’ London office, including title and fit-out matters.
- Consultant to family office of a high net worth heiress based in New York and Monaco.
Work involved:- (i) Detailed consideration of complex family trusts and underlying companies (value in excess of US$150 Million). (ii) Identifying ‘key’ issues concerning client and engaging with client on a weekly basis in order to advance client’s interests. (iii) Liaising with trustees and protectors of the family trusts on frequent basis. (iv) Successfully defending an unusually aggressive court application by the trustees for approval to sell a ‘trophy’ American property in which the family trusts were interested. Sole responsibility for co-ordinating and guiding all contentious and non-contentious legal matters on behalf of the client. (v) Managing lawyers based in New York, the Channel Islands and also US tax advisers relating to certain US tax issues. (vi) Dealing with matters concerning real estate in New York, Paris and Monaco.
- Advising a Swiss based trust company on resolving complex problems concerning substantial trusts (value in excess of US$100 Million) in conjunction with a leading international bank. Drafting complex supplemental trust deeds in order to resolve historical problems concerning various trustee and protector appointments.
- Advising a HNW Russian national resident in Monaco on the purchase of two high value residential properties in London. Co-ordinating conveyancing lawyers and advising on various property and personal tax issues. Covering residency and domicile, IHT, CGT, SDLT, ATED and income and corporation tax and advising on appropriate holding structures.
- Advising London based tax advisers on suitability of UK law trust with Mauritian trustees holding interests of wealthy UK businessman (value £200 Million approx) in the context of the anti-avoidance transfer of assets abroad legislation. Considering complex structural issues around potential winding up of the trust.
- Advising London based chartered tax advisers on a variety of financial structuring issues involving trusts established in numerous jurisdictions including Jersey, Guernsey, Liechtenstein, Cyprus and Isle of Man. Drafting a wide variety of related trust documentation including principal trust deeds and supplemental documents.
- Advising a wealthy UK businessman on an investment in national restaurant chain via a Cypriot holding company and drafting amendments to a variety of documents including company articles and share sale agreements.
- Carrying out a comprehensive review of a proposed restructuring of a Bahamian trust on behalf of the trustee. The trust held very substantial interests in a well-known international leisure group (value in excess of US$250 Million). Involved multi-jurisdictional issues and a novel synthesis between non-charitable purpose trusts and an existing private family trust.